Wednesday 22 August 2012


The summer is flying by...I can't believe it's been a week since my last gloomy post.
Since then, not much has occurred as far as the cottage is concerned as Lorenzo stayed home this weekend. I painted an old pine nightstand for my daughter's room. Pictures of furniture always look better than they do in real life; this old thing was really looking a bit worse for wear. And I dislike honey-coloured pine furniture...







A few coats of paint later, and voila! My daughter loves it.




*     *     *     *

Last Thursday, one of my son's friends came over to spend the afternoon and didn't leave for five days. His home life is wretched and he just couldn't face going back. Yesterday, he left to stay at his brother's for awhile. Lorenzo gave him some money and told him to call us if things don't work out. He has been in my thoughts ever since and I'm feeling guilty about the whole situation.

It makes me ponder the idea that it takes a village to raise a child. And how much obligation is required of us to the children of other people? I think you should reach out to whoever crosses your path in this life. This particular boy seems lost. He feels at home here - not in his own home. He has told me things that have left me speechless. There are so many kids who are growing up in screwed up situations, with parents who are abusive, addicted, unpredictable, emotionally immature, and unable to provide the most important thing to their child: a sense of safety and security.

I've been wondering if we could take on another child - and how much that would entail emotionally, financially, etc. Not to mention the change it would make in our own family. We run a pretty tight ship over here, and kids from dysfunctional homes don't always do well in a family where there is structure and routine. Some of these kids are used to way too much freedom. Awhile back, I wrote about a boy who stayed the night because he had nowhere else to go. He ended up leaving the house around 3-am... just decided to leave and go who-knows-where.  The next morning he was gone, and my son didn't know where he went. I can't have that here - it isn't how we live.  At the same time, I would never be able to turn a child away. But could I really handle it? I honestly don't know. My son is going to call him tomorrow to see how he's making out.


*     *     *     *

Well...I heard some pretty interesting news. My cousin Shannon has decided to move to Mayne Island!  How exciting is that? They're going to sell the house, pack up their lives, and get the hell out of dodge. They have two little kids who will attend the country school, breathe in fresh salty air everyday, and play on the beach - which is their back yard. Now when I go over I'll always have someone there to hang out with;  our cottages are only a five minute walk apart. I told Lorenzo that pretty soon he'll be surrounded by my family on that island - cousins everywhere!

The days are getting shorter and my wildflowers are starting to die off. Soon we'll be feeling the chill of autumn and the stores will be stocking Halloween candy. No!! I love summer so much...I hate to say goodbye to another one. But this year, the impending winter isn't as dreadful as it usually is. Our cottage will eventually be finished and will offer a wonderful respite from the monotony of the dullest season in the year. And I'll have my cousin there to drink tea with.

Here are two of my favourite places on Mayne Island: First, is the Japanese Gardens which exist to commemorate the Japanese citizens of Mayne Island who had their farms, fishing boats, and property seized during World War ll.  Local residents have volunteered their time and expertise to create this beautiful sanctuary...





My other favourite spot is the cemetery beside St. Mary Magdalene's Anglican Church. It was built in 1897.  I already have a cousin who chose this spot as his final resting place.
I think I'd like it to be mine, as well...






Lorenzo will be heading over to the cottage on Thursday evening to install the ceiling. I'll post some pictures when I get them...


No comments:

Post a Comment