Friday 30 November 2012


Today's blog:  Holiday Decorating on a Dime!


It's nearly December, and around this time we usually begin decorating the house for Christmas.

Because we are going away this year, I wasn't sure if I'd bother. But tonight my daughter and I suddenly felt the urge to pull out the seasonal glitter, and we realized that you don't need a tree to make your house feel happy and festive. Sometimes less is more.

Here is my holiday table-scape. This is a little wooden "tree" that I bought at The Bay last year for about $15. I planned on bringing it to the cottage, but tonight I pulled it out of storage and dressed it up a bit....




Two strings of lights and a wicker star on top and voila...I think this makes a pretty acceptable holiday tree. Here we have a sofa table from Craigslist, a lantern from Homesense, a wooden tree found at a Boxing Day sale and a couple of candles. It's all you need, and it didn't cost very much. Decorating should never be costly - use what you have, look for bargains...





Usually I decorate the fireplace mantle with fresh trimmings or holly borrowed from my neighbour's tree, but this year I just arranged some Christmas bulbs with candles in between. The big glass bulbs are actually light fixtures. I found them at a yard sale - I thought they were so cute, and I have a weakness for amber-coloured glass; it is the warmest colour...





A dime-store tea light placed in front of a tree decoration that has a little mirror in it makes a sparkly show piece...





So, candle holders from the dime store, inexpensive Christmas bulbs, and tea-lights from Ikea. (no one makes better tea-lights than Ikea). Just place shiny glass things together of a similar colour, add some candles, and you can make a very merry mantle...






Here's another idea that is practically free. Find some interesting twigs and branches. I collected mine from our property on Mayne Island...






Throw them in a vase, and hang a few decorations on them. Place some bulbs around the base...






I love these branches. Sometimes it's the really simple things that bring us the most pleasure...




...like Marcello the Bunny getting very curious and feisty. He loves it when there's a commotion going on. He was rummaging through the decorations, diving and leaping...he's hilarious.





What could be cuter than this face?





Moving on: I love lanterns, and the prices vary considerably. This one from Pottery Barn retails for $90.20.





This one from Restoration Hardware costs $159.






Both of these stores are absolute rip-offs, in my opinion. Everything they sell is made in China just like everywhere else. I bought my lantern at Homesense for $24.99 and I think it's just as nice. There was such a huge assortment that it was hard to make a choice. Tonight I filled mine with Christmas balls, but you could fill it with anything - pine cones, sea shells, rocks, candy...
(or a candle, obviously)





So there you go. A cozy, decorated living room for under $100. Put on some snappy jazz, pour a glass of wine, and enjoy...






*     *     *     *

The cottage will remain empty for awhile as we have weekend plans, but we're aiming to have all the trim painted before we leave for Mexico. I would have gone this week, but I was dealing with dental appointments. It was kind of depressing, but I was reassured by my dentist that my teeth & gums are healthy; I lost the tooth because the root canal failed. It happens, and you have to be philosophical about it, I guess. At least I'm not losing a limb or an organ, touch wood...

I came across another exceptional artist. Her name is Linda Heslop and she lives on Vancouver Island. Her art makes my stomach leap...I wish I could afford this one, but it's not in the budget right now. It's $495. for a limited print, and then you have to factor in the cost of framing.

I will scrimp on everything, except lighting and art. And sheets. Do not buy art because you need to fill a space on a wall, or because it matches the furniture. Take your time and search on-line. Wait a few months to see if it still moves you; if it still gives you a chill down your spine, buy it.

It's worth it, it will give you years of joy, and it's a good investment if you choose carefully.





                       Calm Before the Mist - Linda Heslop






No comments:

Post a Comment