Thursday 25 April 2013


The U-Haul truck has been loaded and so has our truck - we're taking two vehicles to Mayne Island.  If we run out of time and everything isn't done, I'll stay on by myself.
I spent the day wrapping up some art work to bring over, cleaning the basement (which is empty, practically) and packing up last minute stuff. It's hard to believe that we're actually moving into our cottage....

The night after my last entry, our younger son woke us up in the middle of the night. It has been so long since any of our kids have woken us up that I was totally confused for a moment. He said he was in pain - he was holding his ear and he started pacing the living room. Luckily, I still had some pain-killers from when I had my dental surgery. I gave him one, filled his ear with olive oil again, and he passed out. I told him I'd be taking him to the clinic when it opens at 8-am. I couldn't get back to sleep after that; I was almost waiting for his ear to burst which happened when he was about 8 years old. The next day I had a headache so severe I could hardly function - I think everyone is under the weather right now.

The next day my son insisted on going to school. I was really ticked off about this. He came home looking awful so I took him in and the doctor said he has a bad ear infection. All this week he's had soccer tryouts and refused to miss any of them; he's a trooper. My daughter isn't well either - coughing, sore throat, runny nose.  But she goes to school regardless. My oldest son, however, is fit as a fiddle. Glowing with health. But somehow he couldn't manage to get out of bed this morning; at 10-am he sauntered into the kitchen and gave me a heart attack. I'm losing patience with this boy. The other night he was still up at 1:30 in the morning, sitting on the basement couch listening to music. Living with three teenagers is really trying....I am worried about leaving them when they aren't well. I think Lorenzo will come home as soon as the heavy lifting is done and the lights are installed. I can do the rest on my own. 

Someone once said that having children means that your heart exists on the outside of your body. It is so true. They are always, always in your thoughts - you're never truly free of it and I don't think it matters how old they are. If Lorenzo is here, I feel fine about leaving - but when it's both of us leaving, I have real anxiety. Mayne Island is a long way away - an ocean separates us which is kind of disturbing.

Anyway, my older son is deeply offended that his cousin is coming to stay while we're gone. He thinks he's a model of exemplary behaviour. Reliable and trustworthy. I'll believe that when he gets himself to school on time....


Well, that's it for now. 






        Boys washing the dishes. Mayne Island - 2009






No comments:

Post a Comment