Friday 4 May 2012


Lorenzo called me last night from Mayne Island sounding discouraged. He gutted the master bedroom and discovered a bee hive, and tons of rodent droppings. He said it was disgusting. I think being alone in that cabin is becoming increasingly hard. He listens to the CBC and says having a fire going at night keeps him company but he misses being home. I wish I could be over there helping him, but I'm worried that my kids might throw a party in my absence. Anyway, here are a few pictures of what he's been working on...








I am engaged in a heated dispute with BC Hydro right now, as my Mayne Island bill is bigger than the one I have here. It makes absolutely no sense. There are 5 people living in this house, using electricity all day long. At the cottage, the heat is coming from the wood stove, there is no cooking, laundry, or showering facilities and it's empty most of the time. So I write to BC Hydro and they suggest that perhaps there was  "a new appliance purchase" or an "addition to the family" (?).  If Hydro were privatized, there would be accountability to the consumer, but instead, we're basically told to suck it up. And don't even get me started on the Smart Meters...
I would love to go off the grid and tell Hydro to stuff it. I am going to investigate the feasability of installing solar panels. I wonder how much it costs... 

So I'm ticked off about that. Also ticked off about the liberal government opening the door to year-round schooling. Great. As soon as we get a cottage, my kids might be sitting in a classroom during the entire month of August. Just in the time for the warm weather! Can you tell I'm in a testy mood?  I'll come back when I cheer up...

No comments:

Post a Comment