Thursday 5 July 2012


I really have nothing to report. Lorenzo is going over to the cottage on Saturday morning with his brother to tie-in the electrical to the panel. This is a relief - we'll have light sockets now and won't have to trip over extension cords. Our three kids are off to camp soon and we'll be heading over to the shack to work...with Sachiko and Marcello. Should be fun.





Our hardwood flooring is in my cousin's warehouse right now and at some point soon we'll have to get it over. It takes 7 - 10 days for hardwood to acclimatize but I honestly don't know where we're going to put it all. You're supposed to lay it out, not leave it stacked, but there's no room!

*       *       *       *

One of my favourite ways of wasting time is going on the internet to look at art. Canada, particularly the west coast,  is home to so many great artists - it's incredible considering how small our population is. Right now I am very impressed with the work of Cindy Riach. Take a look...








Another artist is Josefa Fritz Barham...







As you can probably tell, I am drawn to art that depicts water or boats. I find these images stunning; if I were rich I would spend a fortune on art. Actually, if I were rich I would open my own gallery... I enjoy drawing but I've never tried painting. Maybe it will become a hobby when the cottage is finished.


There is an artist on Galiano Island named Kenna Fair. I love what she does; much of her art is actually carvings on wood and then painted over with acrylic. I purchased two small-sized prints of these paintings a few years ago (couldn't afford the big ones)...






Gorgeous! The Pacific West Coast is truly beautiful, despite our terrible weather. And regardless of what medium an artist uses, you can always recognize it as being from here. There is a clarity and starkness to it - our scenery is quite savage and often cold. But it's a wild beauty that you really appreciate if you've ever done any travelling. It's easy to take for granted - but when you find yourself in a European city where there's barely a tree in sight and the ocean is hundreds of miles away and you can't find any place to be alone because it's so crowded and dusty...you come home and feel such a sense of gratitude. I don't think I could live anywhere else.
If only the sun would shine a bit more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment