Saturday 30 June 2012


Fun long weekend! Lorenzo went to the cottage on Tuesday night. I've been thinking how fast time goes. In the spring he was convinced that the cottage would be done by early June. Ha! We've had the cottage for nearly a year. Who knew it would take this long...
Take a look at how much progress we've made... Doesn't this room look like an episode of Hoarders? We have such a long way to go...





He called yesterday afternoon sounding a bit irritable. He ducked out to the Spring Water to watch the soccer game. When Italy scored, he cheered.
Two old ladies at another table hissed, "Ssshhhh!" In a pub. There is a certain brand of old person who has the ability to suck the youth and joy right out of the room. I hope I'll never be like that.

Today, Lorenzo worked on electrical...he called several times asking where I wanted plug-ins, how many inches from a doorway to put a light fixture, etc. Most conversations were cut off because of bad cell phone reception. Lorenzo is pretty good at electrical but there were several things he wasn't sure about. Luckily, his brother is a very smart guy who also happens to be an electrician. Many calls were made asking for advice, so I'm sure it will all work out - unless the house explodes or bursts into flames...





He also gutted what was left of the kitchen...




I'd been putting off choosing light fixtures because I tend to research everything to death. And anything I really liked was too expensive, such as this farmhouse pendant. I love this, but it's over $200...




Then I found a website called Lighting Direct. They were offering 10-percent off all orders, and I found something I really think will look nice. And it was $64. so that was a bit softer on the budget...



Lighting is one of the most important parts of renovating or decorating. Nothing transforms a room the way light does. A badly lit space feels ininviting so it's really worth it to take your time choosing fixtures and figuring out where you want to have light. Incandescent lighting is warm - particularly if it's down-light. Corners should be lit as well; if you light the corners of a room it expands and feels very cozy. Overhead ceiling lights tend to cast shadows, so I've avoided them. Putting lights on dimmers is a good idea as well and it saves energy. Speaking of which - the new energy-saving light bulbs are a great idea but the light they give off is ghastly. I've bought them before but they're all in a cupboard in the basement. I know I should be using them but they're just so awful.

Here is another fixture that I might buy for the entrance ways...



I have bought almost everything for the cottage on Craigslist, and scoured thrift stores for anything I can find that we'll need. But I will not compromise on lighting - it's just too important. You can find good lighting that is affordable if you're willing to take your time or buy on-line. The selection is enormous.

*      *      *      *      *


Well, it's Friday night. I told my kids there would be no sleep-overs this weekend as I'm getting fed up with crazy late nights and kids goofing off until the wee hours. Regardless, my daughter begged me to let her friend stay and I said, "No. Absolutely not." Then I caved. At 10:30 pm, a boy showed up whom I haven't seen in a very long time. My son took me aside and pleaded to let him stay the night. I said, "No. Absolutely not." He said, "Mum, he has nowhere to go." Short pause. "Has he had supper?" 

The next thing I know, there's five kids in the kitchen at
11 pm making popcorn and drinking tea. They're in the basement right now watching an ear-splitting horror film. It's well past midnight and I'm wondering when it will get quiet around here. It's a good thing Lorenzo is on Mayne - he thinks I'm too easy-going when it comes to things like this. If someone needs a place to crash I can't say no. I think it's an Irish thing. You always wonder if it might turn into a good party.

Well...I guess I better find a sleeping bag and an extra pillow.

Ciao for now.


                           
                           (a hundred thousand welcomes)















No comments:

Post a Comment