Thursday 26 April 2012


Husband is heading back to the cottage tomorrow morning. One the hardest parts of this renovation is the amount of time we are spending apart. Not to mention what it does to your social life!
Tomorrow, my partner-in-renovation-crime will be sealing the tile in the bathroom, and getting started on the master bedroom.

I mentioned previously that I was determined to use zero-voc paint. I drove all the way to the west-end and spent sixty dollars on a gallon of Yolo paint, only to discover that it is incredibly frustrating to work with. I was painting some shelves and brackets for the kitchen and I am completely unhappy with the results. This paint dries so quickly that you can barely go over your brushstrokes. I usually enjoy painting, but not this time. I was cursing.
I'm going back to Benjamin Moore, and I'm going to buy a can of their Regal Select which is (supposedly) low-voc and self priming. What a costly mistake...maybe I'm just being too picky, but painted wood, especially doors and window trim, should be as close to perfect as possible. That is where your eyes go. And when you're using high-sheen latex, any mistake shows up like a giant thumb print. So, I'm going to start all over again...

But I did save some money. Found some very cottagey-looking furniture on Craigslist:




This is solid pine: 2 end tables, 1 sofa table, and a coffee table. The end tables are perfect for a narrow bedroom because their openness on the bottom allows your eye to see the hardwood floors straight to the wall; you don't want furniture that blocks your view in a small space...





You can always find a place for a sofa table: behind a sofa, at the end of a bed, in a kitchen, as a folding table in a laundry room, etc. They can also be used as desks or sideboards. I think sofa tables are the most versatile pieces of furniture you can have in your home. I think I'm going to use this piece as a dressing table in my bedroom...






This is well-priced furniture at $300, delivered to my door. Notice that each piece has custom glass on top to protect the surface. This alone would cost at least $300, so this is a very good deal...







No comments:

Post a Comment