Wednesday 18 April 2012

My husband leaves for Mayne tonight..he is going to start work on our sons' room. It's a rather hideous looking space without a single redeeming feature...unless you happen to have a penchant for 1970's faux-wood panelling, coral-coloured plush carpeting, flimsy ceiling panels, and badly-sized single-pane aluminum windows...





The more I ponder our cottage, the more bewildered I feel. I wonder how anyone could have picked this design out of all the possible configurations available. The slanted walls drive us crazy, the rooms are long but narrow (like bowling alleys) and they just look so uninviting. Maybe we're too picky. But...once we're done they will look a lot better. I have to keep imagining the space with new ceilings, walls, moudlings, and hardwood floors. My husband has already installed a new window. Over the next few days, he'll rip out the ceiling, & panelling, add insulation (because there isn't any!) and run new electrical. He'll only be gone until Saturday, so he may not even accomplish this much. Here is the new window...






The new windows not only provide improved energy efficiency, but also appear mathematically correct from the exterior. Previously, the windows looked like two menacing eyes staring out from the roof. Here is the difference proper window size can make. Good design is all about mathematical balance...





So, I'll be left holding down the fort until Saturday. I hope my kind-hearted cousins pop in to say hi to him. He gets lonely over there all by himself (sniff) and maybe a little snack (gulp) might cheer him up...(hint hint)...


No comments:

Post a Comment