Tuesday 10 April 2012

Welcome back...
Here is how our cottage now looks...it's called "work ethic"...




I wish! Truth is, not a single thing was accomplished at the cottage because of Easter weekend, so I've been working on what I can at home. And today, I will share some of my little cottagey projects with my vast viewing audience who is no doubt waiting with breathless anticipation to find out what I've been up to...

As I mentioned, our bathroom is woefully narrow, with a slanted ceiling. Actually, the whole wall is slanted - it's rather odd. For this reason, we wanted to have as few protrusions as possible. I felt that even a medicine cabinet jutting out would interfere with the sight-line from the entrance to the end of the room. It would look like a giant nose on a tiny face. So, my husband has built recessed cabinets above the toilet and vanity...



He then built melamine shelving units to insert into the openings. The cupboard above the toilet will house toilet paper - it measures 24 x 39 inches. The one above the sink is 24 x 30.
They are only about 4 or 5 inches deep, but that's all the space you need, really...

 





I figured that the mirrored cabinet should match the vanity, but I didn't want to spend too much money. So, I opted for an Ikea cupboard (Adel Medium Brown)...


When I brought it home, I was disappointed. The frame was too smooth and perfect in contrast to the rustic look of my vanity console. So, I decided to distress it. I hammered some nails, of varying sizes, into the frame. I was very careful as I didn't want to crack anything. Then I touched up the nail holes with some walnut-coloured stain...





I took the door to Speedy Auto Glass and had a piece of mirror cut to place into the frame. It looks quite nice. Did I really save any money? I've decided not to dwell on the past.
Later on, I will add a knob, and this will open our soon-to-be medicine cabinet, that will be filled with all sorts of interesting things, like toothpaste and rolaids...




So, that's all I've done...what else can I talk about? How about quick and easy dinners? Sick of cooking? Don't know what to make? Here's a fast solution to the daily tyranny of meal preparation. This is especially handy if you're in a bad mood: 

Grab a cookie sheet. Throw down some fresh rosemary. Pop a few chicken breasts (with skin) onto the rosemary. Fling a few lemon slices on top. Splash some olive oil into a bowl. Stir in some potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts and whatever else your rotten kids will eat, and toss them onto the cookie sheet. Wing some salt over top. Fire the whole lot into the oven at about 425. Give the oven door a swift kick, pour yourself a glass of wine. In about 45 minutes, you'll have a delicious, healthy dinner. Your house will be filled with the heavenly aroma of  lemon, herbs, and  roasting animal carcass. If anyone comes over, they will marvel at how wonderful your house smells and assume you're a gourmet cook. In any event, it's a healthy, scrumptious meal that you can feel good about...




(I should have taken a picture once it was cooked...it looks much better than this. And yes, my oven needs cleaning...)





No comments:

Post a Comment